Let’s take a break from recipes and to re-focus on some basic foods that are great for people over 50 to eat regularly.
Eating the right foods is essential to good health and being able to exercise. You wouldn’t pour cement into your car’s gas tank and expect it run, right?
- Water. You might not feel as thirsty as you used to, but you still need plenty of it, every day – even when you don’t think you do. Staying hydrated keeps your muscles working better, prevents you from feeling tired all the time, and helps with headaches and constipation.
- Berries.Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries – they’re all packed with vitamin C and vitamin E for better cell health.
- Fibre. Get it naturally from vegetables, beans, whole grains and fruits, or use a powder supplement if needed. Fiber not only keeps you regular, it helps maintain healthy blood pressure and cholesterol, and lower your chances of developing diabetes.
- Olive oil. It’s healthier than some oils, and you can use it instead of butter.
- Yogurt. Calcium and vitamin D are important for bone health. It has lots of protein. And it goes what with those berries and with …
- Nuts. Almonds, cashews, macadamias and other nuts pack healthy omega-3s, good fat, fiber and protein. Have a handful five times a week.
- Broccoli, tomatoes and more whole vegetables and fruits.